[MLB-WIRELESS] PCI Order: what's the worst that could happen?

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Tue May 7 14:15:54 EST 2002

  Hi all,
well, potential bad news.  At the moment it is highly likely that the
Brisbane PCI card order (nokia c910) will be unsucessful as there are
potentially (unspecified) problems with the supplier. I am waiting to
hear back from Adam (who is my brisbane contact and has done most of the
hard work on this) that this is indeed the case and the order is cancelled.

first off, your money is safe! (trust me I'm an engineer...)

because we were aware that supplier problems occur (and a change in the
original supplier for these cards had already occured) and given the
recent dificulties with the wireless card order, we had already started
work on a backup plan [see footnote].  We are in the process of working
out these issues and there is still a chance (thought slim) that the
brisbane side will still work.

whatever happens, we will not make it for this weeks meeting (drat!)

if you want to get your money back straight away, and write the whole
thing off to bad experience, you are most welcome to do so.  If you want
to wait for a few days and see what we can work out, please feel safe to
do so.  Unless the next email from Nick is from Bali, I am sure you
money is safe (!)

[footnote]
the alternative supplier is in Melbourne and has access to 2 types of
card, the nokia c910 and another card (name slips my mind, but well
known brand) that puportedly does well with windows (all-round a better
card).  I am led to believe that this new card will make an appearance
at this weeks meeting.  The card from this supplier is a little more
than the other supplier, $65 per card (same for both card).  We are in
the process of finding out if we can ensure a supply of either type of
card, firm price and availability.  We will then try and supply the rest
of the country as well (tommorow, the world!!!) :-)

Now I know this is starting to sound like an advertisement for time
share accommodation (but wait! not only but also!), but in a day or two
we should have some solid a Ü  nswers.  stay tuned!!!

--
Dr Pvan den Bergen
SERC