[MLB-WIRELESS] WLAN layout suggestions?

Bruce Paterson paterson at tassie.net.au
Mon May 6 08:23:55 EST 2002

Hi all,

I've been banging my head against a reinforced brick wall in the
stairway of my two-storey block of flats about the best way to get my
WLAN running across the block. This one wall stops the signal in its
tracks (see layout gif attached).

If anyone has some suggestions I would offer you my first-born, etc.

I think the solution is an access point or wireless router to which
an external omni aerial can easily be attached and stuck on the roof
above the offending wall to service both LANS. Hopefully it would get
signal through to LAN1 on the first floor and LAN2 on the ground
floor. Or do I have to worry about the cone of silence?

At my end I have a Netgear MR314. Peeking through the ventilation
holes I can see its got a Netgear MA401 PCMCIA card in it, but I
don't know if you can attach external aerials to them even if I could
get the metal case open. An alternative would be to use a mac or pc
with an enterasys card as the router, attached to the external
antenna.

I'm planning to share a broadband connection to be installed at LAN1.

Can an access point at LAN2 bridge between the external antenna and
the wired network at LAN2?

If anyone's good at building omnis, let's talk :-)

Regards,
Bruce