[MLB-WIRELESS] PCI order wrap-up.

Nick Sibbing nick at artful.com.au
Sat May 4 11:29:21 EST 2002

Fenn Wrote
I have been throwing around the idea of having a phone numbers
as manditory on TIB. What are people's opinions on this?

I think a Phone no field is a great idea but mandatory is not.
Organisers can point out that if supplies are short or something
goes awry then a phone no is a buyers best interest. Matt I
think made the point that is isn't the volunteer organisers job
to chase people and I heartily agree but if things go awry for a
couple of buyers then it would be much easier for organisers. I
think a field for who is organising the buy is a must. My forst
reaction to buy is who is organising this? If they have a track
record I'm much more inclined to send them my dough

The answer to any problems in the bulk buy process are better
behaviour from buyers and volunteer organisers CAN improve this
by giving more info. I'm sure with the stuff we have learned and
the increasingly excellent tools developed eg TIB that future
orders will be much easier.

As someone who helped Paul with collecting dough for this Nokia
cradle buy. I have a couple of observations. As a buyer I didn't
realize the strain of not labelling my payment properly to
organisers (Sorry Mr Chubb and thanks for your efforts) I'm
happy to report that on this order EVERY single payment was
properly labelled fantastic! But on the downside we had approx
25 people who ordered confirmed and paid on time and nearly 20
who didn't. This behaviour isn't helpful and I hope that this
flurry of emails helps this in future. I think perhaps in
people's defence this was excacerbated by the fact that this
order was always a bit vague. Paul couldn't give clear answers
to "will the cards arrive" and "will they work with my system"
questions.

But this doesn't explain all the people who contacted me after
deadline. I'm sure some had good reasons but I think some are
just a bit slack."Hmmn so you didn't get the previous emails but
you got the deadline one? So i hope this improves After all
people need to understand that volunteer organisers are not
making dough they are just helping us save money.

Thanks to members research the tech questions are getting easier
to answer all the time. I think also we will get more reliable
suppliers and in the case of the cradles for example the next
supplier should be a member with a local connection who can
source cradles for $65 inc GST this takes strain of volunteers
by letting them give confident answers to buyers queries

(Incidentally Robert Tchia wrote "Why not have a field where a
buyer can enter the receipt number?" Simple answer because the
bank's systems aren't good enough to accurately reconcile this.
When i was working with Shane to reconcile my withdrawal with
his deposits not one transaction no matched even though we are
both with westpac! so my experience is that the info field is
the best method)

thanks for listening

Kind Regards
Nick Sibbing