roaming nodes -was- Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless

Ben Anderson a_neb at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 20 09:55:44 EST 2002

> > I believe this :-)
>
> Hehehe, for those that don't, you can read about some of my other tram
> mobile antics at http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net/pt.html and
> http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net/sat.html
>
> :-)

That's cool.  Can I come and play with your toys sometime?

> > way to rapidly link

> > to the overall
> >
> > won't the directional links serve this purpose to some extent?
>
> How long until we get a 70km link to Geelong or an 800km link to Sydney?
> And it's quicker to tie in clusters of connectivity until more nodes pop
up.

No problems, tunnel through the internet :)

> > I can see here where "relocating" nodes differ from truly stationary
> > ones.  I might only want to move a few times a week, but i might want
> > to move from one side of the city to the other.
>
> The "static" stuff is intended for only fixed tunnels and other non
changing
> systems. :)

I still think it makes sense to reward 'mojo' for static shortcuts (even
though I don't think they should wind up static)

> > one day i will understand paragraphs like that really i will
> > right now it just makes my head hurt :-)
> >
> > Is any of this covered by what these guys are doing?
> > http://www.meshnetworks.com/
>
> lol
> >
> > "MeshLAN software transforms wireless LAN cards into
> > router-repeaters, which enhances and extends the wireless reach of
> > each subscriber in the network. A MeshLAN-enabled Wi-Fi user who is
> > out of range of an access point can hop through one or more users to
> > reach the access point. Furthermore, the MeshLAN routing intelligence
> > will automatically shift transmissions from congested access points
> > to uncongested ones - easing bottlenecks and improving overall
> > network performance."
> >
> > I seem to remember they were licensing their software free for
> > non-commercial applications, but that might have been someone else
> > with a similar name.
>
> Hmm, has a ring of familiarity (are we reinventing the wheel here?).

Yes, and no.  We're combining ideas that are pre-existing into a working
concept... so it's new, but it's not.

> > >Hrm, maybe...  Dunno, I'm not a lawyer. :)
> >
> > neither am i:  here's the bit that makes me wonder though:
> > from http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~mesh/doc/2001-10-25-aca-answer.txt
>
> Is there a lawyer in the house? :)

Hopefully one of the publicity/political proponents of this list will step
up to the plate to procure us one :)

Ben.