[MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless str ucture

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Mar 20 08:37:01 EST 2002

> errr... tram mobile on a windows box?  Are you talking about
> sticky seats
> and blue screens?

LOL. :-)  Well the Linux box doesn't have a screen :)

> > And these routes can be statically specified.
>
> well, semi-statically...  static stuff sucks ;)

Yeah, I'm trying to minimise traffic here, and if the network can safely
assume a particular route is up, all the better.

> The long/lat stuff is useful in preventing the *whole*
> network from being
> discovered by broadcast...

Yes, it will be more useful for knowing where to route traffic destined for
distant nodes.  Local nodes have to be discovered.

> Even in an uncontrolled fasion, other nodes in the same broadcast area
> should be able to see a lack of ack for the packets being
> broadcast, meaning
> they can stop re-broadcasting, and propegate nack's back
> through the network
> (assuming it's a 'backwards' shortcut) -- in the case of a
> forward shortcut,
> then the nodes just keep propegating the packets progressivly
> towards the
> long/lat of the destination.

Yes, but we want to take advantage of every opportunity that may arise for
minimising traffic and maximising efficiency. :)

> > Apparently, it can be done, though not by a MS provided
> API.  But Windows
> > will need support by _someone_.
>
> Dibs on it not being me.

Fair enuf.  Just saying _someone_ should think about porting to Win32, not
necessarily you. :)

> > Hrm, maybe...  Dunno, I'm not a lawyer. :)
>
> Nor am I...  Though, the mp3 argument might be useful -- once
> it's got to
> critical mass (which should happen before the lawyers have even half a
> look-in) it's going to be very difficult to stop.

Well, I'm not quite sure I support that approach, especially in light of
what you said below...

> It's certainly fun tech to play with, and at very least, once it's
> developed, some large company is likely to see the usefulness in a
> generalised network and either buy it up to stop it, or to
> impliment it
> against potential competitors... Either way I should be rich *grin*

What are you in this for?  Greed doesn't catch my eye. ;-)

<loads up a few nukes...> ;)