[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Node x is over this way -was- Applications

Drew drew at wirelessanarchy.com
Wed Mar 20 07:50:02 EST 2002

>>example - problem: bandwidth congestion
>>how does mojo attempt to solve this? by creating a class system where
>>those with more links get more mojo, while those on the outskirts, or
>>those who cant afford to put 5 cards and 5 antenna on their roofs are
>>penalized by the system. so how could those people gain more mojo? by
>>sending more traffic. thus actually increasing the amount of traffic on
>>the network, as these people try to earn "credits" so they can download.
>>mojo is like a ratio FTP site, but part of the network, instead of just
>>some horrible idea on a ftpd.
>>

>I agree, horrible idea on an ftpd.

and on a freenet

> And implemented 'nastily' it'd make the
>network suck.  I'm proposing using the mojo only to give people the ability
>to get low-latency access to the network.

at the expense of everyone else

> Packets without mojo would
>traverse the network as if the mojo didn't exist

except for the fact that they have low priority?

>-- overloaded nodes would
>still be overloaded, except now people could actually still get low-latency
>access to it, in what I think is a fair manner (and in a manner that causes
>the network to grow to encourage increasing this 'resource in demand')

again at the expense of everyone else

>There's a lot of economics theories that cover this concept quite well.
>People wouldn't earn credits sending information onto the network.

so how *do* they earn mojo?

>Your solution requires someone altruistic enough to actually set the link
>up, and make it available.

can you stop saying that? i've shown several times why someone would set
the link up

>  What's more likely to happen in that scenario is
>that the people with congested links stop giving it away because hundreds of
>users are flaming them for providing a crap service.

why would people flame them for helping the network become less
congested? your assumptions here are quite odd. and besides, if the net
is still bad, one of the others can provide another link, or add another
card combined into the same antenna to double their bandwidth. READ:
they already have a motive to do this, without mojo.

>Prime example, look at what happened with the mailing list.  Few flames
>happened, the people being altruistic with their time WRT committee stuff
>decided it wasn't worth their time, and packed up and left.

not exactly, i think they've reconcidered. the problem is different with
a mailing list. half the people flaming have no intention of doing
anything for the network, they just like to bitch for the hell of it. on
this network, its going to require a lot of personal interaction, going
to the other person's house to test LOS, being on the cell phone with
them while aiming antenna, and finally a beer when a link is finally
had, you're going to end up knowing the people you're linking to, its
going to be a community building project as much as it is a network
building project. if that same guy you just spent a weekend with setting
up a link starts flaming you, he's got a mental condition. ;)

>  Very
>dissapointing in my opinion.  I think I can come up with a lot more
>real-world examples where relying on peoples altruism to scale stuff breaks.

aren't you just a ray of sunshine in a dark world? have some faith in
people, you may be surprised.

-Drew