[MLB-WIRELESS] Applications on the melb-wireless network

David Arnold arnold at dstc.monash.edu.au
Wed Mar 20 05:49:13 EST 2002

-->"Ben" == Ben Anderson <a_neb at optushome.com.au> writes:

  >> here in australia in sufficient quality or quantity to be of any
  >> use. we don't even have the capability to lay cable or wire
  >> resiences like those guys could.

in Wellington (NZ), a bunch of people from the uni got together and
ran fibre around the CBD using the tram wire poles.  consequently, the
whole inner city has cheap access to GigE and all the cool things that
develop from basically unlimited wide-area bandwidth.

  >> if you read bill gates manifesto, the first one, called "the road
  >> ahead" way back in 1995, he planned something along the lines of
  >> low-orbit satellites delivering voice, video and data across a
  >> wide blanket of 2-way satellite services, entirely roaming and
  >> mobile.

it's called Teledesic, and is a joint venture between Gates, Craig
McCaw (of cellular fame), some investors and Boeing.  see
teledesic.com.

  Ben> If we go guerilla fibre to the desktop, rough calculations
  Ben> suggest we can install the network at similar cost of a years
  Ben> cable internet access...

the real issue with all of these schemes is regulatory.

wireless at 2.4GHz falls into a convenient hole right now (especially
if we don't offer Internet connectivity), but if it takes off at all
seriously, the telcos will strongarm the government into ensuring that
their markets are not eroded.

UWB introduces a possible inflection point for spectrum pricing, but
you can be sure that those with vested interests will attempt to
ensure that it is regulated into uselessness too.  they've already got
a coax network and 3G cellular infrastructure to pay for -- competing
with "free" bandwidth will fought tooth and nail.

i'm keen to play while the going is good, and remain hopeful that
*something* will pan out giving good bandwidth at reasonable price,
but i think we need to be realistic ...