[MLB-WIRELESS] This is getting silly - please, everyone, just take a time out for a few days.

Andrew Harcourt gfg687472609 at geckomail.org
Mon Mar 18 14:53:16 EST 2002

(Long subject just in case people are getting too ticked off to read the
mail.)

Please, everyone, the current spate of flames, personal attacks and "I'm
quitting" emails isn't getting anyone anywhere - least of all the people
that actually have a vested interest in the group's success.

I'd strongly suggest that before anyone flames anyone else, or anyone
decides they want out, or *any* other major decisions are made, *everyone*
take a few days to cool down, think about what they really want out of the
group, then come back to it. I'm sure there will be someone flaming me
within a few minutes of my sending this mail, but that will just prove the
point. Tempers are running too high to get anything constructive done. So
rather than destroying everything that so many people have worked for,
please just take a few days, cool down, then come back to it with a clearer
head.

With respect to a management committee: if it's going to happen, I'm happy
to put my hand up for some of the grunt work. I can keep the minutes,
arrange an address for correspondence with outside groups and whatever else
needs to be arranged. That's cool. If that's what's bothering people, then
that's one problem removed. I'm sure we can find others to share the
workload, but the important thing is that it will get done *if* that's what
the group decides should happen.

With respect to a technical committee: again, if people want it to happen,
just create it. If we need a separate mailing list, why not just create it
and let people subscribe as they will? There will always be people who want
to rant, rave and otherwise denigrate volunteers' work - but, on the other
hand, they're the least likely people to get something out of it.

If a formal structure is necessary, then let's have it. I haven't seen too
many emails voting for or against, so far - if people really have such
strong opinions, then please just use the voting mechanism that has already
been proposed on the list. If you vote yes, then please be prepared to do
some work on the committee itself.

What I'm really trying to say, people, is that many of us seem to be
forgetting the real reason we all came together in the first place - to
build a network, learn from the experience, and HAVE SOME FUN. The order of
priorities should perhaps be reversed there - if we don't enjoy what we're
doing, then why do it?

Again: before you flame, denigrate or otherwise contribute to the "noise"
portion of the signal/noise ratio, just take a few minutes/hours/days, let
disagreements about misunderstandings, quotations out of context and other
such gripes aside, and just be prepared to make something good come out of
this group.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Harcourt