[MLB-WIRELESS] Resignation

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon Mar 18 09:15:02 EST 2002

> A carefully designed committee is ok.  Structure that limits
> liability,
> prevents membership fees from being necessary, and most of
> all, is able,
> willing, and capable of change -- if a better, incompatible network
> technology comes along, change it's reccomendation despite
> the fact it'll
> make a lot of nodes incompatible.

Well, I'm hoping that the technical decisions will come from an IETF like
working group, not the committee.  The committee in my mind should be only
responsible for general administration of the group, financial and legal
issues, and be the representative body behind the group name that outsiders
deal with.  Internally, there's no reason why the working groups can't have
the major say about the network itself.

> As long as nothings glued down to "temporary hacked stuff."
> And if backward
> compatibility isn't a design consideration (implies the
> constituents are
> willing to upgrade software) then there's really no problems with this
> anyway, and in fact, I think it should be encouraged (a
> broader based system
> is more likely to evolve the best system).

Well, that's best left to a working group to determine, IMHO.  The issue of
upgrading is a vexing one.  Software isn't so bad, as the only cost is time
to learn new software and upgrade it.  Hardware is a different matter.  I
don't know if I'd  bother participating in a network that required me to buy
a $200 card every year or 2...  But if it was a case of "upgrade for extra
features when you feel like it", that might be a different story...

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses