[MLB-WIRELESS] heaps-o-n00b questions

Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
Wed Mar 13 10:23:49 EST 2002

Justin writes:
>  Got lots of dumb questions... hope someone can help without
> laughing at me too much.
OK, I'll only laugh a little...  ;)

>  I'm interested in this as I work at home sometimes, and I want to sit
> outside with my lappy and work in the sun.... and brag about
> it to my mates
> :) Don't think I'm into
>
>  My questions / comments
>
>  - I looked at the node map, but I can't work out where I am.
> How do I do this? GPS?
That is one way, another is to read what Drew wrote.

>  - I can see the Knox city tower from my back yard (I'm south
> of it) anyone close?
That would include myself.  Node AJJ, Alana Court, Wantirna South.  If I can
get LOS (Line Of Sight) to your house, then I will try and connect to you,
if you are willing and able.

>  - How many of these nodes are interconnected? Part time or permanent?
As Drew said, there are two (semi-)permanent links.

>  - How are the connected ones routed?
Static routes for the moment (I think), but OSPF seems to be getting some
attention.

>  - What areas/nodes are close to being a true permanent RAN?
Patience my child, patience!

>  - How are the connected ones addressed? DHCP? Static IPs?
Static for the moment, this may evolve into DHCP.

Yes, read the RFC: http://www.wireless.org.au/wiki/?RFC

>  - Can someone explain the difference between a Vertical
> Collinear, Yagi, Helical and omni? I think omni is all
> directions, and the others are directionally focused?
> (I did aerials back in TAFE, but I can't remembers squat)
To put it in simple terms, there are two major types of antennae used with
WiFi - directional and omni directional.  There are different ways of
constructing these antennae, hence the other terms such as yagi, helical,
dish, etc.

>  - How would I stop my card getting onto a private network if
> I can pickup multiple signals?
Select which SSID you wish to connect to and ignore the rest.  We tend to
use "melbwireless", but I get the feeling that "www.wireless.org.au" may be
a more popular choice in the future, in terms of advertising our group.

Ask Ryan Abbenhaus (sneeze.nospam at alphalink.nospam.com.au)

>  - Anyone got into trouble for 'accidentally' connecting to a private
> network yet?
Not that I know of.  We do not endorse illegal activities such as "cracking"
private networks, please refrain from doing so.  That does not mean you can
not use tools such as "netstumbler" for diagnosing your own connectivity,
just don't try to use it to do anything more than that.

>  I think that should do for a bit :)
Are you sure?  I've got a few more brain cells that need some 2.4GHz action
- maybe I'll go stick my head inside that device in the kitchen with the
700W magnatron...

Cheers,
Tyson.

Tyson Clugg