[MLB-WIRELESS] Mailing list Vs Forum?

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Sun Jun 30 00:28:45 EST 2002

It's been 20 minutes....

lets have another discussion on why we should have a mailing list!

My POV is: mailing lists are more personal, but subject to noise.
newsgroups/forums are all noise, no personality. there are only rare
situations that forums stay on-topic, or even relevant and informative. it
also takes a lot more effort & time to break subjects into threads and
expand on points in a forum/NG.

of course, you can hold your own opinion on the latter, but the chances of
getting consistently meaningful information out of any public conversational
medium is close to nil unless it is heavily moderated. and it takes a crack
team of people to do that in any successful way without personalities
getting involved that have their own way of "doing things". there is no
current "best" method for keeping the "noise" factor below noticeable
levels.

As always, your mileage, and experience may vary.

Toliman.