[MLB-WIRELESS] Mailing list Vs Forum?

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Sat Jun 29 20:46:38 EST 2002

vk3jed at optushome.com.au ("Tony Langdon, VK3JED") writes:

> >Just to give you an idea, I'm subscribed to over 30 different mailing
> >lists and receive over 1000 messages daily.  To solve this problem I
> >"pipe" my mailing lists into a private news server and treat the
> >mailing lists as news groups.  This way I don't fill up my "INBOX"
> >and if I don't have time to follow a thread or mailing list, I just do
> >a "catchup" and the news reader treats all messages as read.
>
> I have an email load that varied between 500 and 1000 emails a day,
> from a similar number of lists.  I don't use news servers, just the
> inbuilt filtering capabilities of Eudora to sort them into separate
> folders.  Your idea of using a news server is an interesting one, and
> I wouldn't mind more info on it, as it's not unlike the system I used
> to use with the old Fidonet gateway software.

I guess it's similar.

My setup is as follows:
1. subscribe to mailing list as normal.
2. use procmail to forward "list messages to my news server" with
rules similar to:

:0
! melbwireless

This sends the message to a local alias melbwireless on my (unix)
machine, which expands to "| /usr/bin/mailpost list.melbwireless"

mailpost is provided with INN and given a newsgroup name allows you to
pipe a message into the news server.