[MLB-WIRELESS] What's it all for ...

Cato cato at codebear.com
Sat Jun 29 19:20:18 EST 2002

At 07:01 PM 29/06/2002, An Inner-North member wrote:
>Umm do we have any PLAN for wireless other than seeing each others servers
>AP's etc ?

I'm glad you brought this up. After my initial enthusiasm about wireless
last Sunday, I started thinking more on the whole purpose of it all.

Short term: Several very close people connected to each other share a lan
environment.
Possible purpose: Co-ordinated agreement on the download of some or
parts-of very large files for the collective good.
Issues: File sharing of most of the large stuff people donwload is illegal.
You might be comfortable doing it in the privacy of your own home, but are
you willing to do it with a total stranger who has a pretty good idea of
where you live?

Medium term: Enough people create a critical mass to do something. Again,
I'm not sure exactly what that "something" might be until Internet
connectivity comes into play.

Longer term: Clever people create a way for the Wireless community to
easily share the collective internet bandwidth of many people in an
equitable way, while still allowing specific bandwidth owners (ie those
with the Internet connections) control over their internet connections.
i.e. Peer-to-peer bandwidth sharing.

It seems to me that at this point it's like spending a few hundred dollars,
connecting to your nearest neighbour, and saying "This is neat." The
benefits are a greater understanding of the issues of wireless and, by
default, general networking.

What are YOU looking to get of being involved in Wireless?

Cheers,
Cato