[MLB-WIRELESS] Warchalking

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Jun 26 12:50:30 EST 2002

> It's just non-permanent graffiti. And it *is* public spectrum.
> It's just up to you if you want to cross that legal line
> between a passive
> and active network connection.
> And what's wrong with an admin identifying that his/her
> network is open,
> even if it is via graffiti? Do I need to contact every single
> sysadmin

Nothing wrong with the admin doing it...  In that case, it's their
network...

> every time I wardrive to let them know what I can see of
> their network via
> passive means? Should I tell someone that I can walk past
> their front door
> and get a passive connection even without doing *anything*?
> If I see a car in the shopping centre car park with its doors
> unlocked,
> should I contact the car's owner by whatever means possible
> and let them
> know?
> Methinks no.
>  - Barry IANAL

Who knows?  I was just flagging it as "something to watch". :-)  For a real
legal opinion, you need to visit those who work just behind this place. ;-)

As for the rest of your analogy, would you put up a sign in a public place
saying "XYZ cars are unlocked and have no alarms"?  or "XYZ houses are
unlocked?

I think not...

Personally, I think there's some positive aspects to warchalking, but I'm
just raising a couple of points for debate. Devils advocate comes to mind.
:)

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain