[MLB-WIRELESS] Interesting little Article

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Mon Jun 24 16:58:50 EST 2002

Hello syd-wireless,

  Kinda a few days old, I've been slipping on keeping up with news
  items of late anyways...

  There has been some testing of the new US Robotics gear that uses
  22Mbps chips...

  -------

802.11 Planet tests the speed of US Robotics wireless suite using
Texas Instruments's ACX100 chipset: The  tests show about twice the
throughput with TCP/IP traffic as with similar Wi-Fi equipment. The
writer makes clear that his methodology is not a test lab, but rather
a more informal setting (references are made to a pool). Also, the
terminology is muddled in this piece: 802.11b is one spec; the ACX100
22 Mbps mode is not part of 802.11b, although the encoding, PBCC, will
be an optional part of 802.11g. Finally, I wish my fellow journalists
would stop claiming that 802.11g will run at 54 Mbps. It won't. It
will support an encoding used at 54 Mbps in 802.11a, the 5 Ghz band
standard, but it will certainly not achieve superior data rates above
the optional encodings developed by Intersil and Texas Instruments
specifically for the 2.4 Ghz band: 22 Mbps gross, not net throughput.

http://80211b.weblogger.com/

http://www.80211-planet.com/reviews/AP/article/0,4000,10649_1369521,00.html

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                          mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com

http://www.SydneyWireless.com - Exercise your communications
freedom to make it do what you never thought possible...