[MLB-WIRELESS] AP on Mt Dandenong

Nick Sibbing nick at artful.com.au
Sun Jun 23 11:31:41 EST 2002

David wrote:

> think to look at is there is so much RF around this part of the band it may
> not RX our week sigs. and the AP we use may not meet the standed need to go
> into this type of site.

regarding David and Jason's comments about Mt Dand bristling
with RF that is certainly true. However it is possible to
successfully use 802 gear there. I was part of a team with Tyson
and others and we could pick up plenty of signals with
netstumbler and could make (brief) contact with a melb wireless
node in vermont which is probably 10 to 15 km away

we were on the observatory (Sky High Restaurant) which is a
approx 500 m from the tower. Using a handheld modified 18db
galaxy literally held together with string and noticed though
that it made a significant difference where on the observatory
we stood.Eg moving 200m improved the signal to vermont. we put
this down to los and antenna alignment improvements but didn't
consider rf interference

Kind Regards
Nick Sibbing
Artful Solutions