[MLB-WIRELESS] Dirty big dish...

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Jun 20 14:12:08 EST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 fenn_b at smktech.com.au wrote:

> I may have the ability to aquire a rather large (>1m diameter) radio
> dish used for some satellite internet transit (not sure what
> exactly, the details have been passed thru 3 people so for all I
> know it's a 10cm baking dish).

It depends on who was using it. Assuming it was an ISP rather than an
end user, the following should apply.

If it was used for C-Band (around 3.7 to 5.4 Ghz), it is likely to be a
2.4 Meter prime focus mesh dish, or as small as a 1.8 Meter prime
focus solid dish. The feed would be rather large, with a face of atleast
8 cm

If it's been used for Ku-Band (around 12.2 to 12.8 Ghz in the AsiaPac
region), it is likely to be anything from around a 1.2 or 1.5 Meter
offset dish, to a 1.5 of 1.8 Meter solid prime focus dish.

If it was an end user dish, it is likely to be anything from a 65 cm
to a 90cm offset Ku-Band dish.

> However, assuming that the details have not been garbled in passing, I
> was wondering a couple of things:
>  - a) Is it potentially of any use to us for 2.4ghz fun?

It's likely that it will give you to much gain, even if you did make a
2.4 Ghz feed fr it (such as a cantenna).

>  - b) Is it useful/worth keeping/selling for anything?

Depending on the size and mount, it may be worth $100 to $400 .. another
option, if you live in an area that allows it, you could mount it
yourself at home and use it for Satellite TV.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----