[MLB-WIRELESS] New submission up at Inquiry

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Jun 20 09:57:20 EST 2002

> Now let's do some quick math...  an eighth of legal would be
> 0.5watts EIRP.
> Presuming we're using a 30mw card, we could then use a 12db
> gain antenna
> which would give us 480mw EIRP (i.e. just around the claimed
> 'eighth').
> 30mw and a 12db antenna!  And 10km to 30km links? Using this
> much power?
> Who's got the crack-pipe, and can I have some?

Park on a couple of hills and it should be quite possible. :)  Running 30 mW
with "full legal antenna gain" it should be possible to make almost 100km
(albeit most likely at 1 or 2 Mbps and with no real fade margin).  at 1/8
power, the possible distance reduces by a factor of approx 2.8 (i.e. 2x
square root of 2).

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.