[MLB-WIRELESS] AWA Forum

James Healy jimmy at deefa.com
Sat Jun 15 02:48:36 EST 2002

Hi everyone..

I was slated to give a very brief talk at the meet tonight about the AWA
forum I attended in Sydney on the 26th May, but we were running very
behind (due to the wonderfully funny comments during the enterasys talk)
so it didn’t come about...

I figured I should post a short message here instead..

_please_ don’t read this as an argument for or against anyone, or reply
to the list saying stuff that isn’t going to get either group (or the
relationship between the two!) anywhere..

Firstly, the Sydney guys are nice people! Some may find it hard to
believe, but its true. I even got invited out to a gig somewhere... if
that’s not friendly, I don’t know what is. :-P

The forum seemed to be the board members trying to let people know what
the AWA is, and why they doing things the way they are, and this was
communicated quite well. I think everyone was a bit disappointed with
the turnout - only 15 on top of the board members, but it was still an
interesting meeting, with lots of interesting questions.

Jamie Lovick did most of the initial talking, going through what seemed
to be the FAQ, but expanded greatly. This went for about 40 mins,
followed by a break, then question time.

Lots was covered, and much of it can be found on their website, but I've
talked about some of the key points below.

Although Jamie didn’t say it in as many words, the motive for the AWA
approaching things the way they have, is network quality. They want to
build the most stable, reliable and redundant network they can, which,
on the whole, seems like a pretty suitable goal!

They're doing this in 2 main ways :

- setting up a strong structure from the beginning (A National Board,
and a regional board in each member region), with agreed on standards
that each area has to follow. This is what confused me at first - its
like 1 big network, not just a "industry representative group" that can
talk to the government on our behalf, help the groups interact, etc.

- Although anybody can become a leaf node (providing they pay their
membership fee), not just anybody can stick an OMNI on their roof and
run as an AP. Wherever possible, AP's will be provided by the AWA, using
donated or brought hardware. Members _can_ run an AP, however they must
sign a contract agreeing to things like not turning it off without
notice, upholding AWA authentication protocols, etc etc. If the member
breaks this contract, there is a provision for them to be fined $500

The only thing that really concerned me a bit was they mentioned they'd
traded extensive community involvement for speed, allowing them to get a
long way in just a few short months. Which is probably true, but imho
building community is more important than the network (is there much
that this network will provide that the internet doesn’t? particularly
broadband.) Tonight's MW meet being a perfect example. Lots more fun
than the network itself will be :-0

They are trying to increase the community involvement now however, with
varied success.

At that point, I had to leave early to catch a bus to Canberra, but I
think I managed to catch 90% of the meeting.

To recap, trying to build high quality network, great group of guys, now
trying to build the community involvement, happy to work alongside us
and not assimilate us, talk to them sometime, you may be surprised.

Hope this helps everyone's understanding of the AWA!!

James

"Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes."

work: worker at aycs.org.au / personal : jimmy at deefa.com
msn: jimmy at deefa.com / ICQ : 6370237