[MLB-WIRELESS] RICOH adapters and Linux

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Fri Jun 14 10:14:22 EST 2002

After much ado (including putting, nay jamming, the PCMCIA card in the
wrong way) I was able to get the adapters to work in Leenicks.

To do so you need to make sure in your kernel you have:

Hot Plug/Swap Enabled
PCMCIA Disabled
PCI detect set to Any

Be sure that in the wireless networking drivers you build the likes of
orinoco.c and airo.c as it's the basis driver for the PCMCIA wireless cards.

Build your kernel to suit the above.

Build and install the PCMCIA Card services drivers v3.1.33.  When you do a
"make config" ensure that CardBus support is enabled.  "make all" then
"make install".

Do a "depmod -ae" to be sure any module dependencies are OK.  I found using
the builtin PCMCIA kernel 2.4.18 drivers that there were complaints with
pcmcia_core.o not resolving PCI functions which were clearly built into the
pci.c driver and statically linked into the kernel.

When it boots back up you should see your wireless card working away.

I did this on a RH 7.1 system, and eth2 now automatically pops up (which is
my Cisco Airo352 card).

Now I just have to be sure interrupts are behaving on the PCI2.0 system....