[MLB-WIRELESS] FLASH ENTRASYS CARDS at Friday meet??

Chris Drake cadrake at optushome.com.au
Thu Jun 13 19:55:05 EST 2002

The reason why i say don't bother flashing your card if you are using MS
operating system is that there is no point! The drivers (MS
ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) loads a firmware image into the rom. Therefore your
firmware WILL equal your client version of drivers! In the roamabout/lucent
client, in help about or something where it shows the version of firmware
your will notice that there is a primary and secondary firmware. The primary
is infact a read-only memory area. For the slow minded ROM is read only
memory, it can't store data. So if you remove the card you will loose the
contents in the ROM. As I was explaining, this is what  happens with MS
drivers, detect card --> load driver --> put firmware image from driver into
rom --> send an a-ok ect. card loaded.

With open source operating systems. They DON'T have the great driver to load
the fireware into ROM capability. They instead have to load the firmware
image which is stored in the secondary flashrom to the rom (primary firmware
area). The WorkStation Update Tool upgrades/degrades the firmware image in
the secondary flashrom. That is why it is only usefull for those people
running open source operating system to use the WorkStation Update Tool.

'Enterasys can't be flashed as Lucents' this is mildly true. I have done it.
For some reason the card has issues with the lucent driver. I have no idea
why but it just does. So you install the entereasys driver forcefully and it
works but as I was explaining above there is no point flashing the card to
lucent or enterasys for that matter because the image stored in secondary
flash will be ignored!

have to go I hope this was clearer.