[MLB-WIRELESS] Will Cable Unplug the File Swappers?

Barry Park bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au
Thu Jun 13 16:05:47 EST 2002

And from Slashdot today, a small piece that hints that US cable Internet
companies are introducing caps to help the RIAA et al happy by making things
sucky for peer-to-peer.
- Barry

Will Cable Unplug the File Swappers?
Technology: NEWS ANALYSIS
By Jane Black in New York
Jon, a computer programmer, is exactly the kind of music lover the Recording
Industry Association of America has in mind as it tries to shut down music
file-swapping services such as KaZaA. He has downloaded about 5,000 songs
off the Internet in the past two years. The vast majority, Jon concedes,
were pirated copies, including the latest album from rapper Eminem.
"I only do it because it's free," he says matter-of-factly. "I don't do it
to sample new music before I buy, like Napster always used to say."
http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/020612/tc200206121108_1.html

This email and any files transmitted with it may be legally privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you
have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and
permanently delete the document.