[MLB-WIRELESS] Electrical guinesses step forward !

Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
Wed Jun 12 10:23:49 EST 2002

Brian,

> > > Anyone here good with electronics?
> > > More specifically able to make a curcuit ?
> > > Need help with an experiement.
> > What is the experiment?
>
> To make a power switch controlled by a PC, and to then make
> an Infrared
> input for the switch. - so i can use a remote to turn on and
> off, say ...
> the kettle (cant think of much better things, than watchin TV
> and starting
> the kettle with out getting up ;)

Sounds like a job for X10 home automation:
http://www.digihouse.com.au/
http://www.eon3.com/content/products/product-detail.asp?intProductID=1

Be aware that controlling mains electricity is inherently dangerous - I have
completed some subjects from an electricians course as a part of the course
that I did (Advanced Diploma in Engineering Computer Systems) and I must
stress that any work on mains power must be carried out by a qualified
electrician, or that devices used comply with Australian Electrical
Standards .  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WORK ON MAINS POWER!

> If it could also repeat the Infrared signal as well ? (eg.
> sender) it could
> turn on the Stereo in another room ;-)
>
> Is it possible ?

Have a read of http://mobilix.org/Infrared-HOWTO/Infrared-HOWTO.html on
doing infrared in Linux, there is a small section on sending IR commands to
devices using a home built IR sender
[http://mobilix.org/Infrared-HOWTO/infrared-howto-c-serial-infrared-remote-c
ontroller.html].  If you wish to continue the X10 home automation theme,
then try
http://www.eon3.com/content/products/product-detail.asp?intProductID=156.
This stuff is not limited to Linux, there are apps out there for Windows and
other OS's as well, it's just I personally find it easier to do in Linux
myself.

Cheers,
Tyson.

PS: If you still want circuits built, that can be done, but why?  There are
many *standards* based devices out there...

   Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
 Treasurer at wireless.org.au
   B/H: +61 3 9545 8117
   A/H: +61 3 9887 0117