[MLB-WIRELESS] Australian piracy rates among lowest in the world

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Tue Jun 11 20:37:24 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dwayne" <dwayne at pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Australian piracy rates among lowest in the
world

> Barry Park wrote:
> >
> > Interesting to see. Is this a positive or negative finding for wireless
> > networks?
> > - Barry
> >
> > Australian piracy rates among lowest in the world
>

> Wow, when I first got into computing way back in the 80s we were amongst
> the worst in the world! What happened?

people report less piracy, numbers go down.
BSA offers rewards, remuneration or bonuses, numbers go up.

although im aware of last year's amnesty, amnesty's are not worthwhile, it
creates indistinct publicity for businesses because it is still an admission
of guilt.

i'd say the numbers are still lower on a whole, each business has to
allocate budgets for software expenditure, licensing is more strict, and
retail purchases for office suites, OS's and server applications are sold as
licenses, not individual box sets. tied to that,  software retail prices in
the thousands of dollars (barring photo-editing, 3d modelling, architecture
and production software, the high prce is to justifty supposed loss from
uncollected royalties). Most software is priced at 200-800 per client, where
the cost can be justified over a period of time, e.g. 2-3 years. that can't
compete versus $2 per client or even $20 per client for the morally and
fiscally bankrupt.

lets' pretend people got more reasonable with pricing and purchasing
software. The private piracy is still going on, cd-recordables are being
sold in their thousands, a couple of million recordable media of all types
are sold every month. who knows what average joe citizen does with his
average 5 cd's a month, they could all be eminem remixes... who cares.