[MLB-WIRELESS] RICOH Cards in PCI2.0 boxen

Matt Chipman mkchipman at optushome.com.au
Sun Jun 9 13:36:16 EST 2002

> I am using Linux kernel 2.4.18 and the card services 3.1.33 (latest).  I
did

What distro?

> the make config, make install and for good measure rebooted and the
modules
> all load, as lsmod attests to.  But... even my PLX adapter driver loaded.
> The problem is, interrupts never worked on the PLX adapter in the PCI2.0
> machine whereas they do on my late model PCI2.2 machine.

I don't know enough about what card services load but i want to repeat the
fact you need YENTA_SOCKET.  Whether card services loads this or not i do
not know.

> I am trying to get it to work in a FIC PA-2007 board which has the VIA VP2
> chipset (VT82C586A/VT82C595).  There is no beep when I insert or remove
the
> wireless card.  Interrupt count in /proc/interrupts is 0.  I would assume
an
> IRQ would be generated when the card is inserted or removed... this isn't
> happening so it's just not working.  Humph.  And double Humph.

I seem to remember this can be fixed by an irq setting in the lilo.conf when
the system loads .... will try and dig up the info.

 I have come to the conclusion that with this old board anything
> PCI2.2 will not work at all.  My D-Link 520 didn't, the PLX adapter didn't
> and now this Ricoh based adapter doesn't.

Oh ... maybe the board is too old?!?

This conclusion only applies to my
> board.  I don't know what the story would be for anyone with say, Intel
> chipsets or VIA chipsets with different BIOSs.  My next step is to try
> something USB, but my choice there is limited to what's listed in the
table
> on http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/ .
>
> You may well wonder why I am being so bloody minded about trying to use an
>  old cruddy Super7 board, but I figure Socket/Super7 based computers are
the
>  machines of choice for anyone wanting to run a wireless access point be
it
>  using Linux, *BSD or some Windows variant simply because they are
cheap/free
>  and more than ample to be firewall/routers you can leave on all the time
and
>  forget about.

Agreed

Maybe someone else can offer an opinion.

If your board supports USB then i would have to reckon it supports those
cards??

I have an old P75 machine here, if i have time i will pop the hd in with a
card and see what happens

-Matt