[MLB-WIRELESS] Antenna Gain Testing?

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Fri Jun 7 11:08:22 EST 2002

I have been meaning to look into making a slotted coax standing wave
measurerthingamo with movable probes to measure VSWR.  I have some damned
big and stiff LMR500 which would suit if a router but was run down the
length of it to make a slot.

Plug in the tunable (hopefully) 2.4GHz source at one end, your antenna at
the other and with a simple diode rectifier attached to the probes and a
multimeter, you can see where the peaks and troughs are relative to each
other inside the coax and then with some jiggery pokery maths you can get a
very good VSWR measurement.

No need for expensive 2 port analysers then.  Do it the way Marconi did.

What say you, Tony?