[MLB-WIRELESS] New submissions to the wireless broadband inquiry

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Fri Jun 7 08:36:50 EST 2002

I think the lucent submission sums it up just fine.

7. A stable technology that is not subject to outside interference,
therefore
the use of licensed spectrum is desirable. Any technology that is
operating in unregulated spectrum will be subject to risk of interference,
e.g., 802.11.

Frankly I think IDS have done nothing but make fools of themselves. While
we're at it, lets make people register for using baby monitors and cordless
phones aswell!
Someone asked the other day, whats happened to all the technical
discussion.... who cares when we have comedy like this! Luv a good laugh on
a friday morning....

Darren Dreis
IT Manager
NDP Consulting
Tel 03 9548 9444  Fax 03 9548 9040

                    "Barry Park"
                    <bpark at theage.fairfax.co        To:     <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
                    m.au>                           cc:
                    Sent by:                        Subject:     [MLB-WIRELESS] New submissions to the
                    owner-melbwireless at wirel        wireless broadband inquiry
                    ess.org.au

                    06/06/2002 06:42 PM
                    Please respond to "Barry
                    Park"

Hey all,
There's been a few more submissions added to the wireless broadband inquiry
website (http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/cita/Wbt/subslist.htm).
Sadly, it includes this dross from Integrity Data Systems. The bits leading
with *** are my own comments. How can we correct this?
- Barry

Integrity Data Systems says: "The 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11 b products have been
in use for some time now for entry level point-to-point and
point-to-multipoint broadband deployment. The proliferation of brands now
entering Australia and the use of wireless LAN cards in
personal computers (PCs) and Linux boxes for community gaming is polluting
the 2.4GHz band as a resource."

*** WTF? And later on ...

"Of even more concern is the number of importers and installers of 2.4 GHz
product that have nil radio experience or knowledge. These companies are
combining the 2.4 GHz products with directional, omni antennas and
amplifiers that in many cases breach the ACA's class license. Many of these
companies are not even aware of the conditions around the use of products
in
the 2.4 GHz band. Also 2.4 GHz products are typically used by free
community
networks or gaming groups who again may not care or know if they exceed the
4-watt limit."

*** Pig's bum. Who? It's an ambit claim with no foundation in fact.

"We recommend that steps be taken to protect the resource so it is
available
for use by everyone. Any vendors or importers selling the product in
Australia should undertake an accreditation process, which involves
educating their channel on the class license. All installed links should be
registered with the ACA by the installer, end user or both and must supply,
as a minimum, a link budget which clearly shows the product, RF cable, and
antennas used, as well as the EIRP level for the link. The ACA could then
issue a certificate of compliance. We also believe that retrospective steps
be taken to clean up the band by ensuring current links comply with the
class license conditions. After an amnesty or grace period, sites without a
certificate of compliance could be fined. This should not only remove the
"cowboy" element of some suppliers and resellers, but allow more second
tier
carriers to look at using the technology, which is still the most
economical
way to distribute Internet services.
This would still allow the technology to be used for gaming purposes, but
minimise the risk of interference with a second tier carrier who is
deploying a suburb-wide wireless broadband service.
Using the analogy of the spectrum resource as a river, there would be an
uproar over the lax way we allow some to pollute it. We must protect it
from
the reckless or ignorant behaviour of a few so broadband is
cost-effectively
available for all.
In regard to free community wireless networks, they again should not only
register their links, but be excluded from using amplifiers. This should
not
be an issue, as community links ares typically point to point and cover
short distances."

*** Again, This makes community wireless groups appear as a scapegoat, with
IDS intersted only in protecting corporate interests over end-user
interests. Legislation says 2.4GHz is open spectrum. They can pay for
commercial spectrum. This is ill-informed conjecture.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be legally privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you
have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and
permanently delete the document.