[MLB-WIRELESS] RADIUS

Jeremy Lunn jeremy at austux.net
Tue Jul 30 19:10:12 EST 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:29:22AM +0200, Joris wrote:
> > Can someone give me a breif explanation of what a radius server is and some things I should know about installing one on my home lan that has wired and wireless connections.  Also recommedations for a radius package for freebsd would also be great.
> Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RFC 2138)
>
> Basicly a server to wich you can authenticate after logging in into the
> network. Usually succesfull authentication allows for more network access ;)

Hmmm I thought it more or less does the authentication for the dialup
users.  Typically used with a NAS box, although there is a PAM module
and also portslave which allows you to use a *nix box to handle dialups
in the same way as a NAS would.

Probably not very useful for a home network even if you do dialin.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia