[MLB-WIRELESS] Domain name registrations

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Thu Jul 25 17:29:47 EST 2002

At 05:10 PM 7/25/2002, you wrote:
>There was a bit of contention in the irc channel the other week
>(#melb-wireless on austnet.org) over where to register domain names in the
>.au name space.
>If anyone's interested, there's a comparison of all the auDA-accredited
>retail and reseller channels at http://www.whatsinaname.com.au/. The
>cheapest for a .com.au is $59, the most expensive $165, so it pays to shop
>around.
>- Barry

I can buy a .org/.net/.com/.biz for 22 euro's at joker.com. i don't even
need to register an Australian business name to own the domain. even being
that cheap, i get full access to delegation and changing settings, in a
neat tidy web interface, and even though the joker.com hosts are German, i
get a better response than a local company would provide.

I can also get hosting/website space  for a domain, for $10 AU a month,
compared to $40 a month for the equivalent hosting arrangement in Australia.

I don't see the fantastic benefit of having to pay a tax for Australian
representation. shopping around pays pretty damn well, compared to the
local competition.

Toliman