[MLB-WIRELESS] [Melbourne Wireless] NodeManager - IP management software for community wireless networks

Melbourne Wireless netwiz at optushome.com.au
Thu Jul 25 09:12:49 EST 2002

Title: NodeManager - IP management software for community wireless networks (General)
Date: Thursday July 25 2002 @ 05:53AM EST
Author: James Schopp (jimi at jimischopp.com)

I'm writing from MadridWireless, in Madrid, Spain to let you guys know about a tool we've built to help us manage IP allocation among our nodes and backbone links. We call it NodeManager, and can be seen in use at http://nodos.madridwireless.net.

Basically, you set up a pool of IPs for your client (wireless) networks and a pool for your peer-to-peer "backbone" links. Then, users (node owners) can request IP allocation automatically. The whole process is done online, with authorization done by designated admins via email. And since you have node information and IP information in one place, it then can do some DNS robot tricks, and generate a backbone network topology graph.

We have about 27 nodes up and running, most with links between them via IP tunnels. We should have our first WiFi links soon. We run OSPF and have 2 BGP links with other community groups in Spain.

I'm in the process of putting it into the savannah.gnu.org CVS and integrating it with EvilBunny's NodeDB. The tool is in a very stable "base" stage, and ready for collaboration.

Please take a look and see if it's useful to you all! It is multi-language as well - choose "english" down at the bottom right of the page (the default is Spanish)

Jimi
jimi at jimischopp.com

This story came from Melbourne Wireless (http://www.wireless.org.au)
For more, see http://www.wireless.org.au/stories.php?story=02/07/25/0414102