[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Lizard replies to ACLU demanding more Internet regulation

lizard lizard at mrlizard.com
Fri Jul 19 07:21:10 EST 2002

OK, my last word on this. Once again, we see the left showing its usual
signs of battered spouse syndrome. "THIS time, he won't hit me. THIS
time, he'll be kind and gentle. I'm only going to go back to him JUST
THIS ONCE."

"He", in this case, is Uncle Sam.

So, we...or rather, YOU...want the government to save the free internet
from the evil corporations. Well, let's take a quick look at what other
good things the government has done for free speech, on the net and off.

The Clipper Chip.
The CDA.
COPA, CIPA, and the rest.
"Death Penalty For Hackers" legislation.
The DMCA.
The Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act.
The 1996 Extensions to the Lanham(sp?) Act. ((Laying the groundwork for
the current gross abuses of trademark law)

(And, over in TV and Radio land, we have the FCC, which censors TV and
Radio, and has only been kept (mostly) off cable by the SC)

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

But none of that matters, right? If the government decides it has the
power to regulate cable internet, it will ONLY do so in order to insure
'diversity' and 'freedom', right? It's not like the government gets any
money from the RIAA, the MPAA, and so on, so the government has no
motive to mandate that 'authorized' broadband providers throttle
file-sharing services. It's not like anyone in Congress would make
political hay by demanding 'authorized' broadband providers block porn
sites or pro-nazi sites. No, there's NO motive for Congress to EVER
impose such terms or conditions on an industry that it regulates. Nope,
no motive at all. Can't happen. Won't happen. He PROMISED me he stopped
drinking. He said he still loves me!

What we have here, boils and ghouls, is this:
A proven history of censorship on the part of the government.
A lot of speculation about what the Evil Corporations *might* do.

Remember -- the government tried something like four times to ban 'phone
sex' services, again and again until the SC gave in and let them. The
phone company -- you know, a telecommunication industry the government
regulated "for the public good" -- wanted to allow people to talk dirty
for only 9.95 a minute, call now, I'm waiting for you. The government
said "No, we won't allow such perversion in an industry WE CONTROL" --
and it got its way. Let me make this perfectly clear, for those of who
whose grasp of reality is limited to what you can fit on a picket sign
at an anti-WTO rally: In an actual, historical, example of what happens
when a communications company is regulated by the government, the
government acted to CENSOR speech, not protect it. That's the REALITY of
it. All your little dreams of a benevolent Uncle Sam keeping the evil
corporations in line in order to preserve the free internet are baseless.

Given the devil we know is a devil, and the unknown which *might* be a
devil, the choice seems pretty clear.

(The real solution, as always, is going to be technology, not law.
Neither government nor industry has much interest in preserving liberty.
There will be no savior of freedom from either side. It has to come from
within.)