[MLB-WIRELESS] Microtik 200mW Wireless cards for $125USD

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Wed Jul 17 20:50:38 EST 2002

Michael Borthwick wrote:

> These cards don't appear to be approved for use in Australia, or indeed
> in Latvia where they are made.
>
> Importing these cards might pose a legal risk to yourself and / or
> Melbourne Wireless.

I spoke with the ACA today and am advised, if I interpreted their
comments correctly, that provided the device conforms to the limits of the
class license it does currently fall under the EMC regime - that is
Electromagnetic Compatibility - which deals with interference with other
devices (you might have seen the C-Tick approval sticker on computer gear,
for example.

Additionally, there is currently no mandated standards which apply to
802.11b, in contrast to other types of transmitters such as CB radios and
LIPD video transmitters etc.

 It would appear then that wireless cards do not currently require a C-Tick

mark or other compliance testing / documentation if they meet the
requirements of the class license (which they may not - see below).  So I
was wrong on that score - apologies to Ferni.

The power levels in the class license
http://www.aca.gov.au/legal/licence/class/spread.htm for Spread Spectrum
Devices are

2400 MHz - 2463 MHz    Not exceeding 4 W (this appears to cover 802.11
channels 1 to 11)

2463 MHz - 2483.5 MHz     Not exceeding 200 mW (this appears to cover
802.11 channels 12 to 14)

Given that the Microtik cards already output 200mW am I correct in assuming

that with any practical (non-isotropic) antenna such as dipole you would
immediately exceed the limit for the upper end of the band.

Note: David vk3jda at optushome.com.au indicated in an earlier post that 2400
MHz - 2463 MHz  actually limits you to channels 1 to 9 because of the
spread. Perhaps someone can speak intelligently to this question.

Note: I have never seen a channel higher than 11 in my stumbler logs