[MLB-WIRELESS] Public Spectrum Regulations

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Wed Jul 17 10:09:50 EST 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Ben Rashleigh wrote:

> I have a couple of questions which someone may be able to answer -
> hopefully these are not too ignorant;
>
> Firstly, where can I find information on the regulations of using
> the 2.4ghz public spectrum. Ie. Power, frequency bandwidth etc... I
> know the numbers generally but I was wondering if there are any ACA
> documents that people know of?

Detals of the class licence that 2.4 Ghz Spread Spectrum equipment
operates under is available at:

http://www.aca.gov.au/legal/licence/class/spread.htm

To quote the maximum output figures:

2400 MHz - 2463 MHz Not exceeding 4 W

> Secondly, With the new 5ghz 802.11 products being released, is there
> 5ghz spectrum for public use in Australia?

Yes, to quote from the ACA page, the limitatons are:

5725 MHz - 5875 MHz Not exceeding 1 W

While not listed there, there is a 5 Ghz range at around 5.2 Ghz, which
has a maximum output limitation of 200 mw, and is for internal/indoor
use only.

Currently most 5 Ghz 802.11a devices operate in the lower 5 Ghz band.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----