[MLB-WIRELESS] IPv6 & Nat on FreeBSD

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Tue Jul 16 18:23:12 EST 2002

At 11:20 PM 15/07/2002 +1000, Roger Venning wrote:

>Andrew Dean wrote:
>
>>yeah but the App's you run have to support IPv6 - last time i checked MSN
>>didn't ?
>>

>As Tony suggested, run NAT for v4 applications that do not support v6. Run
>v6 in parallel with public v6 space.
>
>Microsoft Internet Explorer on WinXP does support IPv6. .NET server will
>be the first of the windows line to support 'microsoft networking' (MS
>LANMAN?) ie. file sharing over IPv6 transport.

MSIE on Win2K also works after the IPv6 stack is installed (MS supply an
extra DLL for IE).  I have a single IPv4 address and use masq for IPv4
while I have a /48 for IPv6 (just the ticket for creating tunnels without
having to go overseas, or for creating wireless segments.

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net