[MLB-WIRELESS] Legal power output

Justin littlejuz at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 16 17:50:44 EST 2002

Folks,

 n00b questions time. With all this talk about power outputs and DB gains
etc, can someone please tell me if I understand it all correctly?

 3 db gain = twice the power. Correct?
 All gains and losses are added or subtracted to get a final number?
 The legal power output is about 4 or 5 watts?
 This output is a calculated value based on the cards output power x the
antenna gain?

 So, if I have a 30 miliwatt card, plugged into an antenna with a 16 db
gain, but I lose 1 db in the coax, then my overall gain is 15 db. 15 db /
3db = 5 x gain. 5 x 30 mw is 150 miliwatts effective power put out through
my antenna. Did I get that right?

 A 100 milliwatt card in the same setup would give me half a watt?

 Or, have I got it all wrong? :)

Regards,
Gaz.