[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: " " Now: cara'XML'ising node locations

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Sun Jul 14 01:01:05 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "evilbunny" <evilbunny at sydneywireless.com>
To: <syd-wireless at lists.sydneywireless.com>
Cc: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>; <mesh at itee.uq.edu.au>;
<wireless at tas.air.net.au>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 3:27 PM

> Hi all,
>
>  I've had a few, quite interesting to say the least, ideas for XML
>  imports, 1 of which was to allow people that are moving about in
>  cars, or even on foot, having a program running in the background
>  that uploads their current co-ord's from a GPS...
>
>  Anyone able/inclined to code something like this for doze/Mac/*nix?

Although there is definitely use for this in an intranet environment or
within a corporate environment, i'm not prepared to use or participate in
using the sugar coated approach of locational data attached to personal
property, or personal data, for any mildly worthy reason.

while it's good for tracking people within the network, it's not thorough,
and it's not especially useful. Tracking movement is not a skill or utility
with public merit, and that's the objective reason why i don't like it.
publically, nobody has a "need to know" exact locations, it is sensitive,
private information which you are disclosing.

as a private interest or a privately used technology, it has pretty good
uses, i.e. tracking new nodes and gathering access point data & range of
coverage, tracking colleagues and employees with 802.11b/GPS hardware.
publically, you are very liable if you disclose private data, even though
you might not be culpable for damages. As well as the consequences for that
kind of info & it's disclosure, the designer and the person entering it
would very much be responsible for it.

for coverage mapping, alongside node mapping, all that would be required
would be to use unidirectional antenna with a laptop to store GPS data with
the MAC-ID and Channel of the connection, & Signal-Noise data attached, to
create coverage maps, then overlaying that signal coverage with other
software so more ppl can read it.