[MLB-WIRELESS] *nix system for begginers - Additional

Matt Pearce mattpearce at optushome.com.au
Mon Jul 8 12:48:16 EST 2002

As additional notes - when I started using the *nix based os as my firewall I gained 100-150kB/sec downloading over running ZoneAlarm Pro 3 on WinXP :-) and generally my internet connection is a lot better now.  I am also currently working on getting samba and squid(cause I can, not needed) going and strengthening my firewall rules.  Also setting up with 4 wireless cards in this configuaration below

WindowsXP------------Laptop FreeBSD Router------------FreeBSD Server

with this I am going to be testing the through put of my NEC Versa 4050C P90, 16mb RAM 800mb HDD Laptop to see if I can acheive around the expected 600kB/sec and see how hot the laptop gets.  Should be an interesting result and I will let you all know what happens.

And all this has been started from Friday night :-)  So for you newbie's - go on you can do !!

Matt.