[MLB-WIRELESS] Galaxy Units

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Wed Jan 30 12:30:21 EST 2002

Goa Trance wrote:

> Are the 24db (or 18db for that matter) antennas the ones with
> a "pacific monolithics" down converter?

Can you rephrase that tortured question ?

> If so, do you know if they
> have to be modified for what we would be using them for?

Yes - according to your post of 10 Jan you can get "replacement down converters that make it work for WLAN for
$80."

Here is a good page on doing the modifying them without buying a new down converter:

http://clown.ecig.com.au/article.php?sid=6

Kerry Richens is a ham with a page on them too
http://www.qsl.net/vk1tkr/Pacific_Monolithics/Pacific_Monolithics.htm although he is not using them for wireless
lan - in fact like most ham pages it is not clear exactly what he is doing with it - however my gf laughed when
she saw his home page. http://www.qsl.net/vk1tkr/index.html

My mystery antenna (no longer much of a mystery) http://www.netspace.net.au/~holden/antenna/ has a Pac Mono down
converter and I think is a 15dBi based on comparing it to the dimensions at the Pac Mono web site.

Me tinks we need an 'ardware FAQ me hearties !