[MLB-WIRELESS] Newbie Hello / wireless article / Mt. Dandenong?

Barry Park bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au
Sun Jan 27 18:00:05 EST 2002

Hey Will,
As I understand it, the only reason Chello closed down is because it did
not have anywhere near enough subscribers to support the service, only
in the low 10,000 figure nationally. They were strictly a broadband
service that was delivered via Austar's satellite network, with a
satellite downlink and a modem uplink. Subscribers had to pay for
dial-up Internet access as well as the satellite backchannel, which
contributed significantly to the cost. As far as I'm aware, they never
had MMDS (microwave multipoint distribution service).
Now, if you're talking about how AAPT has set up its MMDS service in
regional centres, there's something to look at.
- Barry

Will Lotto wrote:

> Chello internet provider had a wireless infrastructure in some towns.
> Using a modem uplink, customers got their downlink from a terrestrial
> radio antenna sitting on their roof. It operated well above 2.4ghz,
> but their antennas are almost identical.
>
> They are now closing down because of two simple, yet detrimental
> problems.
>
> A. Line of sight. MANY customers found their service to be unreliable
> because it only took one tree between the customer's house and the
> main tower for LOS to be lost, thus signal to be lost.
>
> and
>
> B. Solving the last mile problem presents you with the great 'telstra
> bigpond' problem. ... You offer customers a service where they can
> download gigabytes of data each day, and guess what sort of customers
> you attract? :) ... Chello, like telstra, found backbone bandwidth to
> be expensive.
>
> Will Lotto.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be legally privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you
have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and
permanently delete the document.