[MLB-WIRELESS] The future

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Fri Jan 25 13:13:04 EST 2002

Mark Saward wrote:

> Would it be possible to put anything into writing?
>
> The reason why I ask this is because there are people that will always
> try and take control of something good and turn it into a profitable
> enterprise for themselves.  Sometimes they might have romantic notions
> that it will improve the service, but in the end it is a different
> spirit that is at work, and power is removed from the people again.

look, it's really very simple.

Anyone INFECTED with the urge to turn a profit is to be considered
DISEASED and the network will QUARANTINE itself away from these SICK
PUPPIES.

gee capitals look nifty sometimes.

i.e.: people can do what the hell they like, but there is no reason we
should talk to them. The very nature of such a network means that,
eventually, pretty much everything will be multiply redundant.  If
someone wants to charge for internet access, for example, everyone will
immediately use one of the free access nodes.  If someone wants to
charge for access to their mp3 archive, I for one will mirror it just to
tick them off. Etc.

We can write this down into enforceable laws, but whether we do or not,
people will vote with their feet.

Dwayne