[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwireless Linux distro

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Fri Jan 25 11:44:25 EST 2002

Is anyone interested in working towards making a Linux distribution for
Melbwireless?  I am thinking of something that will probably work off a
CD-ROM ISO and config changes go to a floppy or the whole lot works off a
HD after copying from an ISO.  A web based interface like Smoothwall has
got would be good.

I am thinking that it would be easy for people to develop for it if it were
based on RH7.x distributions, seeing as it's most common.

I know it's like reinventing the wheel (seeing as Smoothwall and LRP
exist), but I think a simple distribution geared towards wireless that
people can get running on an old Pentium without too much fuss would be
ideal.  This would allow for tailoring of the package for wireless use so
could include Zebra (RIP & OSPF), IPSec, CIPE (like IPSEC but simpler),
PCMCIA support, wireless package support, firewalling, NAT , NoCAT auth
etc.  If it allowed simple modularity and configurability it'd give us a
greater scope for experimentation with protocols and whatnot.

What say you all?