[MLB-WIRELESS] IPv?

Andrew Harcourt gfg687472609 at geckomail.org
Thu Jan 24 13:28:16 EST 2002

G'day!

Incidentally, let's not get into a debate about fowarding other protocols,
please - if you *really* want to play Doom or Warcraft using IPX, use kali
<g>.

Drew> Every OS supports IPV4 out of the box
Drew> Clients will be expecting IPV4, not IPV6
Drew> Best way for this network to succeed is to make
Drew> the barrier to entry *extremely low*

On this point, I'm inclined to agree with you. At least for the first few
months/years we should allow IPv4 traffic across the network.

That having been said, there is no reason we cannot use IPv6 when and where
it's appropriate. IPv6 routers all (except for some of the core routers in
the 6bone) talk IPv4 as well.

The way that IPv6 is being deployed across the Internet is pretty simple.
There are "islands" of IPv6 nodes that communicate with each other quite
happily - and the islands are then linked by either the 6bone or by
tunneling via IPv4 to another IPv6 island. Eventually, the plan is that the
islands will join together and we'll all live happily ever after.

Drew> IPV6 isn't ready for prime time, try obtaining a *real* block
Drew> of ipv6 ip's and see where you get

FWIW I'd tend to disagree with you here. The Internet isn't ready for IPv6
on a wide scale yet - but IPv6 as a protocol, and the software
infrastructure to support it - is alive and well.

Drew> Please let this thread die

Agreed. Sorry to add to it. Please, we can discuss this when we actually
have addressing and routing issues to worry about. Since, for now at least,
we only have a few point-to-point links, it's not really worth the hassle.
If we move to IPv6, let's do it the way it's being done by the real world,
and have it happily coexist with IPv4 for as long as is necessary.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Harcourt
Telstra Research Laboratories