[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Mon Jan 21 21:32:33 EST 2002

Tony Langdon wrote:

> > Contrast this with a backbone-style setup. I'm sure there are a few
> > (dedicated? altruistic? bloody minded?) folk around who are
> > happy to run a
> > few point-to-point links as a backbone and then hang other
>
> Well, I would, if I was in a decent location! :)  I don't have a huge need
> for network access myself, and besides, I have a history of passing other
> people's traffic. :-)  (BBS, Internet - Fido gateway, dialup APANA access,
> IRLP, etc :) ).  Maybe that's the geek in me coming out. :-)

Same here. I'd put in the legwork to make sure my packets have priority,
and I do tend to swamp links given the opportunity, but even so I have
zero problem with people using my unused capacity.

I *like* being helpful, and am not hung up about my possessions. I
suspect a lot of the "it's my bandwidth and i'm not sharing" issues are
philosophical/political and have nothing to do with limitations of the
network.

Dwayne