[MLB-WIRELESS] Wiki + Visual Documentation Project

LongHAUL mhall at moonbus.net
Mon Jan 21 19:36:25 EST 2002

Here are a couple of ideas(tm:) which I am going to throw out:

1. How about we implement a wiki (http://www.bluetail.com/wiki) on
melbwireless?
A number of the places that I frequent on the net are now using wiki's -
most successfully on the flashcoders list :
http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/flashcoders-wiki/index.php (and
seattlewireless)
Wiki's are extremely useful for groups exactly like this (similar to
flashcoders in lots of ways) in which large, complex and technical issues
are being discussed and iteratively resolved by a bunch of clever people.
It is much better than a faq because faqs tend to be updated very slowly and
poorly (too much work for one person to stay on top of)
The quality of Wiki definately tends to improve over time as information is
added, linked and updated. If you see a wiki node that you think you can
improve - do it!
This might solve a bunch of problems related to webboards / threading / loss
of corporate knowledge. (It runs in parallel to the mailing list)
Wiki's are cool.

2. Visual Documentation Project
I would like to donate my services (and hopefully get some help) in visually
documenting some of processes / structures / network layouts for
melbwireless.
Currently it is very hard for people to even come close to getting a handle
on the whole concept of melbwireless, and/or contribute soundly without
rehashing / misunderstanding / missing the point.(Even ppl who have been
reading this list for ages!) Every week we are getting new members who have
heaps of skills and stuff to contribute but are often missed as a valuable
resource.

I am not trying to hand stuff to people on a plate (or get it handed to me)
as I know there is a very strong 'help yourself' *nix / open source
mentality in here - but I think for this group to grow and prosper as a
viable project that people are willing to put time and money into then the
barriers to entry will have to lowered as much as possible.

I think a few diagrams and clarifications would go a long way to assisting
people to be effective members of this network.

Anyway, here are some proposed diagrams:

1. basic network architecture plan (not geographic) - its still undecided I
know but being able to look at a diagram and say - yep I fit in about
thereish would be great
2. basic node setups for each kind of node (leaf, ap, backbone .. ?) - also
showing all the different possible configs of pc, ap, card, pigtail,
antenna, active usb cable etc....
3. your diagram idea here!
4. and here!

I would need help with the specifics of these diagrams, but I can chuck up a
few inital roughs for comment and correction.

I'm excited !

Micheal Hall
ebase3 Interactive
www.ebase3.com.au