[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing

David Arnold arnold at dstc.monash.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 17:06:28 EST 2002

-->"Drew" == Drew  <drew at wirelessanarchy.com> writes:

  Drew> those running BSS (hardware access point or software prism2)+
  Drew> omni/panel to provide access to clients in a park/coffee
  Drew> shop/neighbors/any public place

i think we can identify two sub-categories here also:

1a) connections for a single machine (ie. laptop in coffee shop) or
    even a NATed gateway, and,

1b) connections from a router, itself offering connections to
    downstream clients.

the difference between these being more in their IP address allocation
policy than in their hardware configuration.

also this need not be BSS mode -- i think IBSS will work for these
purposes also, won't it?

  Drew> those running IBSS (*nix or windows box w/ pcmcia or pci card)
  Drew> + directional to link between other IBSS nodes, to form a
  Drew> backbone

yep.

  Drew> those who do both of the above at the same time

yep.

  Drew> there is no right answer about what someone should run, any of
  Drew> the above 3 will eventually help the network grow. someone may
  Drew> start out with just BSS client access, and eventually add a
  Drew> IBSS backbone link, and vice versa. what is really needed
  Drew> right now are people doing *anything*

yep.

shame about the bad experiences reported with the colinear omni
antenna: i was hoping to build one for my roof :-(