[MLB-WIRELESS] ISDN at local call costs

James Robertson orlock at central.warehouse.net
Mon Jan 21 16:04:14 EST 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Marian Szczepkowski wrote:

> Data over voice is a marketing thing, ISDN is a pure digital link the
> voice service
> is requested in the bearer capability IE of a setup message and is used
> for charging.

if you are using the term "marketing thing" in the same way i do, then i
think you are incorrect there..

Data over voice is just that - Make a ISDN call, get charged voice tariffs
by telstra, but negotiate with the terminal server for your digital
connection as normal - Most ISP's use the same access server's for 56k and
64k connections. Not all support DoV though.

Home Highway ISDN is pretty cheap (about the same price as getting a
seocnd line installed, IIRC), and even if you dont want to go to the
hassle of using an ISDN card, or DoV, they tend to work better than a
plain old phone line for modems (my observations only there)

James