[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing

Anderson, Steven SAnderso at pacificaccess.com.au
Mon Jan 21 14:13:27 EST 2002

<snip>	Can't we set up some form of admin peering where there's one local
admin
and a remote admin for each step along the backbone?

I agree, but then you have the issue of a REALLY BIG problem that is
stopping that and requires physical access for a resolution.
Sorry for sounding paranoid but I just had one of those jobs which I didn't
finish until 6:45am the following Morning.  Nothing went right.
Never assume anything unless you assume that the worst can happen.

Of course it is not realistic to be prepared for everything in this case.
We have to assume that in the early days we can all cope with downtime for
this sort of thing, but if you want the general public to WANT to be part of
something you have to understand they will not care that it is free or cheap
after a while.  If it does not work and they do not understand it, they will
not bother with it.  Some people will be patient enough, but I suspect most
will not.

Therefore if you can remove your single points of failure as much as
possible people will be happier and understand the less frequent downtime
that should be the result.

I repeat though, that this is something to work towards, rather than
something to try and achieve up front.  You have to have something to show
people so they will want to be part of it too.
Hey, I want to be part of it and I don't even have anything to connect to
yet ;-)

Steven