[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Mon Jan 21 13:14:35 EST 2002

>If person B is smack bang between persons A and C, they're going to do a lot
>of packet forwarding. If person M is between persons A-L on one side and N-Z
>on the other, they are going to be doing an *extreme* amount of packet
>forwarding.

But, if you have a central node that everyone in the region talks to then
you will still get this problem but to a worse degree.  The central AP
doesn't have magical hardware that can talk to everyone
simultaneously.  The amount of collisions it will have to contend with is
going to be a lot worse than B acting as a routing proxy for A and C.  With
a strict central node only setup A, B and C must communicate only via the
central node and I'd say it'll be really, really bad once things get busy
(ie D and E and F etc talking as well) even if you had two or more cards at
the central node and forced users A-L to use one frequency and M-Z to use
another.  I noticed that Megalink who provide internet via 802.11b will
offer a maximum particular rate but do not guarantee it whatsoever - I
suspect because the central node topology they have will start getting
swamped once traffic from more and more users gets onto it.  I'd like to
know what provisioning they have to maintain a level of service as they get
more customers (short of subdividing their zones which is a pain because
all the aerials will be to be realigned).

>them. The routing issues will have to be sorted out a little more
>thoroughly, but it will give us more overall bandwidth to play with if we
>use a backbone-style topology.

I agree.  Some sort of access control may be needed as well to ensure the
integrity of the Melbwireless VPN within the general 802.11b hubbub that is
on 2.4GHz.

>IMHO we're going to end up with two main types of nodes: 1) leaf nodes and
>2) everything else.

Even the Seattlewireless document with it's talk of BSS and IBSS (which
appears to not be available on all 802.11 hardware) concedes that to deal
with the hidden node transmission everyone needs to be a router.  OSPF
would hopefully obviate the need for BSS/IBSS compatability issues to solve
the same problem.