[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing

Clae clae13 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 11:31:20 EST 2002

Hey all,

I have this impression, that somewhere in the back of our collective,
Melbwireless hivemind, we have these vague thoughts that at some
stage we are going to have a mesh network.  By that I mean that nodes
will be able to pass packets along from one to the other,
hippity-hopping their way from one side of Melbourne to the other.

I also have this impression that most of the hardware/software combos
available will *not* be able to do this out of the box.

Barry's recent post of the link to the openAP project at
http://opensource.instant802.com/ has jogged this back into my
forebrain, as it states that it will perform "multipoint to
multipoint mesh networks".

Unfortunately, at present it only runs on a very limited selection of
APs based around one specific chipset.

I think this is something we need to discuss if it is to be a
long-range goal for the network.  Maybe we can make provisions in
advance for this capability at geographically significant sites.
This would prevent us from investing in unsuitable hardware, and
cursing that choice down the road.

Just looking for comments.

Clae.