[MLB-WIRELESS] through the looking glass

Shane Chubb s.chubb at tronics.com.au
Fri Jan 18 10:32:58 EST 2002

Most buildings would be using double glazed glass. Which is basically a
layer of glass then a pocket of air then another layer of glass. This
provides noise and heat reduction.  I would imagine your main concern
would be if there was some sort of tint on the glass.  From the outside
is the glass perfectly clear? (most likely not).  The tint could be a
plastic/acrylic based tint which should not interfere too much as it is
quite thin, however on buildings a metal tint is more commonly used as
it also provides an additional heat reduction (being reflective) Metal
tints don't necessarily look shiny or metallic they can look black, grey
or any colour you can imagine.  The metal tint would pose more concern
as it may reflect some of the signal.  From experience with metallic
surfaces, the signal does get bounced quite strongly.

I don't know if you are going to be able to find all of this out (if
there is a metal tint or not) so the best bet would be to give it a go.
Microwave signal reflected back into the room - If we see a man roasted
in his living room on the news, we know it was you.

As a small test i have heard that by using a pair or genuine "Polaroid"
glasses, you can see the tint clearer and from this you can tell if it
is an acrylic tint or a metallic one.

Shane